Braised Beef Short Rib (Gluten Free)
- The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
- 4lbs Beef Shortrib (boneless)
- 1.5lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes (medium dice)
- 6 Large Carrots (sliced ½”)
- 2 Large Yellow Onion (medium dice)
- ½ cup Canola Oil
- 2 Oranges (juiced)
- 8 Bay Leaves
- 6cup Red Wine
- 6cups Beef Stock
- 1bunch Fresh Thyme (picked, chopped fine)
- 1bunch Fresh Parsley (picked, chopped fine)
- 4sprigs Fresh Rosemary (picked, chopped fine)
- 12 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 2Tbsp Molases (fancy)
- 2Tbsp Black Pepper (fresh ground)
- 1Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1bunch Chives (fresh)
- 1cup Grape tomatoes (cut in half)
- 45 Minutes
- Total Time:
- 1. Trim the short rib into 1.5” square portions. Place into a medium bowl and cover with red wine, chopped herbs and crushed garlic. Wrap and place in the fridge marinate overnight. (8hours minimum)
- 2. Remove the short rib from the marinate and set aside to dry. Keep remaining liquid and set aside.
- 3. In a medium sized heavy bottom pot. Add canola oil and bring to a high heat.Season the Short rib with salt and pepper. Once the oil has a water like consistency add the short rib portions. Be cautious to place them gently and away from yourself to avoid splashing hot oil.
- 4. Allow for a couple of minutes on each side turning the short rib as you go. The exterioir of the short rib should have a hard sear but no burned.
- 5. Reduce the heat to medium and add the red wine and garlic from the marinade.
- 6. Stir gently to remove any bits of beef stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- 7. Add the beef stock and return to a gentle simmer.
- 8. Continue cooking for 1 hour on medium-low heat the liquid should be covering the short rib. If needed add more beef stock or water to cover the short rib.
- 9. Add the bayleaf, orange juice and the molasses. Stir gently to mix evenly.
- 10. Continue cooking for another 45 minutes on medium-low heat.
- 11. Next add diced carrot, onion and potatoes. Continue cooking just until potatoes are started to soften with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 12. Using a ladel or large spoon skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Discard
- 13. Continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- 14. Transfer to a large serving dish and garnish using grape tomatoes and chives.
- 15. Enjoy!
- Redwine marninated slow braised shortrib that will melt in your mouth. Perfect for a family dinner around the holidays with a glass of red wine.
More Posts From This Category
- Choose Your Moment
- Guest Stories
- Food & Drink
- Spa & Wellness
- Arts & Culture
- Fairmont Magazine
- Fairmont Cocktails
Copyright ©2021 Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. All rights reserved.Fairmont.com
This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.