Kimchi and Beef Short Rib Stew
- Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup grated Asian pear
- 1 TSP freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 6lbs English-Cut short ribs, roughly 4x2 pieces
- 2 TBSP canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 large daikon, peeled & cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 large carrots, peeled & cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Russet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 cups chopped Nappa cabbage kimchi
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Total Time:
- In a bowl, whisk the soy, garlic, ginger, pear, pepper, scallions and 2 TBSP of sesame oil. Add the ribs, coat in the sauce and let stand 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight. Heat the canola oil in a large Dutch oven. Lift half the short ribs from the marinade, brushing off the solids and sear over medium high heat until browned on all sides. Set the browned ribs aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining unseared ribs. Reserve the marinade separately.
- Add the onion and 2 TBSP of water to the pot and cooking, stirring to release any browned bits on the bottom. Return the ribs and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the reserved marinade, stock and 6 cups of water; bring to a boil.
- . Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming occasionally. Uncover and simmer for 1 hour longer, continuing to skim.
- Add the daikon, carrots and potatoes to the stew and simmer briskly until the meat and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the kimchi, toss in the remaining sesame oil, and stir into the stew until warmed through.
- Serve in warmed bowls, with steamed rice, if desired.
More Posts From This Category
- Choose Your Moment
- Guest Stories
- Food & Drink
- Spa & Wellness
- Arts & Culture
- Fairmont Magazine
- Fairmont Cocktails
Copyright ©2019 Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. All rights reserved.Fairmont.com
This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.